Being white and living in West Africa means having, “TOUBAB!!” screamed at you multiple times daily is simply a fact of life. Sometimes, like when its followed by, “Give me money! Give me your bike!”, it makes you want to scream. Other times, like when it’s a really adorable little kid jumping up and down, clearly very excited to see you, it can even make your day. But the point is, either you learn not to let it bother you or you’re not going to last very long around here.
Lately though, in my wanderings around Nioro, I have been noticing an interesting trend… In addition to my daily helpings of, “TOUBAB!” I have also been hearing a lot of, “JAPONAISE!” (Japonaise meaning Japanese in French) The first few times it happened I was sure there was no way this label was being directed at me. So I scanned the area around me, but the only other people in site were Senegalese. Thus, as it has continued to happen randomly over the past few weeks, I am forced to conclude that these cries of “JAPONAISE!” are indeed meant for me.
Most of the kids who yell this at me are rather little, so I just kind of chuckle to myself and try to teach them that my name is Amy. However, I kid you not, the other day a group of teenage girls walked passed me on their way home from school and yelled, “JAPONAISE!”
I was utterly dumbfounded. Why yes girls, I am Japanese. Tell me, what gave it away… the extremely pale white skin? The freckles? The red hair? All classically Asian characteristics to be sure. And to think I nearly won that “Who looks the most Irish competition” when I was little…
And that’s just one of the many ways that Senegal keeps daily life amusing!
No comments:
Post a Comment