So I'm looking at what I wrote as the final line in my journal entry from the first day we got here... It says, double underlined and in all capital letters, "SO SWEATY!" I was too exhausted from a long day of traveling and interviews to write much else, but apparently it was very important for me to get that down. Yeah...its hot here. Also, its super humid, not the dry heat I had deluded myself into thinking that it would be. I just checked the weather and there's 89% humidity at 10 PM. Also, the line above "SO SWEATY!" simply says, "I miss American food." I guess these are the things I will want to remember about my first day in Senegal...? I blame the jet lag.
Anyway, the last few days have been pretty full with oh so exciting things like training/language/cross cultural/safety/tech orientations and my personal favorite: vaccines. We got Hep A and typhoid earlier this week. Still no crying! Its quite a first for me. The typhoid shot is still making my arm sore though, and I got the shot 2 days ago. We've also started on the ever fun malaria drugs. Doxycycline and mefloquine (that's for you Mom b/c I figured you'd be curious). So far no side effects, but today is the first time I'm taking the mefloquine so fingers crossed that I don't have any crazy nightmares or get paranoid or anything.
In other news: on our second night at the training center we had an impromptu talent show, which was AWESOME. There were a couple of tap dancers, a violinist, juggling, and even an acoustic version of "Baby One More Time" courtesy of one of the PCVs. Not gonna lie, we're a pretty talented group. I thought about getting up there as well, but I figured all these people could do without my pitchy rendition of "A Part of Your World" or "The Star-Spangled Banner" (which are among the few songs I know by heart). Although, after the talent show, we were sitting around sharing stories and I contributed the one about my visit to Krakow aka "the time I almost got arrested twice in 24 hours." People seemed to enjoy the story, but I think a few of them were a little scared of that happening here. It also probably could've gotten more laughs, but I have yet to master the art of telling a funny story and not laughing so hard midway through that people can barely understand me. I don't think thats a skill I will ever possess...ohhh well.
Yesterday, after Etienne, PC Senegal's safety and security officer, came and did his best to put the fear of god in us, we were allowed to exit the PC compound for the first time since we arrived on Thursday. Some of the current PCVs took us out in groups for a highlights tour of Thies. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but seeing as this is my first time in a developing country, it was a little shocking. But aside from that, it was great to get out of the training center and actually see Senegal. We also got the distinct pleasure of experiencing our first shouts of "Toubab! Toubab!" from the Senegalese children we passed on the street. "Toubab" is a Wolof word that basically translates to, "white person." So children tend to shout it at us as we pass them. Right now I find this funny and slightly adorable (mostly b/c the kids are so darn cute), but I have a feeling its going to get old pretty fast. On the plus side, they don't speak English so in the future I can vent my frustrations with them without having to feel bad about it.
Also, last night after dinner about 20 of us got together and went to a local bar near the training center to have a beer and hang out. And by bar, what I really mean is someone's house where they have a few tables and sell beers to the locals that hang out there. It was nice to just relax and hang out with everyone away from the center though. Although, note to self: this is Thies, there are no street lamps out here by the abandoned army barracks...must bring headlamp when going out at night. Thankfully, some of the other PCTs are quicker than I am and remembered theirs so I managed to make it home without falling into a pot hole. Success!
Let's see...tomorrow we are off to our home stays for about a week. I'll be in a village about 25 km outside of Thies. Not really sure who I'll be living with or anything about the village really, so it should be interesting. There are three other PCTs headed out there with me though, Jackie, Alex and Joshua, who are SEDs in my French class. Kinda terrified about going to the home stay and having to introduce myself to all these new people, but I guess I'll just have to jump in with both feet and accept the fact that I'll probably sound like a bumbling idiot. Good thing I'm usually pretty good at laughing at myself. So yes, tomorrow its bye bye showers and food cooked to not make us sick and hello bucket baths, "squat toilets" and most likely sickness from food my body can't quite handle yet. Should be good times. But aside from that and being generally a little freaked out, I am excited to meet my family and really start integrating with the Senegalese.
I think thats about all for now. I won't have internet again for a few days, but I will be expecting emails when I get back. (HINT HINT). À bientôt!
So Long Senegal!
15 years ago
Elizabeth - it's so nice to read about your journey. I love your evolving sense of humor!! Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteHi Elizabeth! I work with your dad and he gave us the link to your blog. I've enjoyed reading about your journey so far - it sounds like it will be a trip full of adventures!
ReplyDeletepost something new!:)
ReplyDelete